Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Busted on ET Power Trail

That's right.  Today we broke down in the remote desert.  Here is the story.

We got up and had breakfast as usual, the day was beautiful and we were eager to hit the road geocaching.  We drove the 45 miles to the first cache on Highway 6 near Warm Springs, NV.  Our first cache was to be #851 in the ET Power Trail.  The Jeep was running fine and we were making great progress.  

Shortly after noon, we reached #941 where the cache trail leaves the highway and heads out down a dirt road into the remote desert.  When I say remote, I mean there is nothing as far as the eye can see in all directions.  It was a dirt road, not a two rut trail.

We continued down the road and found ET-#1000.  This was one of our goals for the trip.  Yea!!  That means we were half way through the ET Power Trail.  We continued on until we got to number #1017, and then it happened.

Susie got out to grab the geocache and the Jeep just quit.... totally dead.  I could not even get a click out of it.  It was about 3:15.  I tinkered for about 20 minutes trying different things including my little emergency battery.  Nothing worked.  I grabbed the phone to call a tow truck.... no service.  I walked around the Jeep a little and got some bars, but still no service.  Apparently SmartTalk does not work out here.... not smart enough.  I decided to try 911 because it will work when nothing else will.  On the 2nd try, I finally got a 911 operator although it was a bad connection.

I first had to answer 20 questions and then I tried to explain our situation.  "You are where??" she said!  I gave here GPS coordinates and also directions.  She said "How can we help you."  I ask for the number of a couple of tow companies.  She said we probably could not make calls from out there but she could patch me through to a company.  After a short, confusing, 3 way conversation, I got through to a woman at the tow company.

20 questions again.  She said she could send a truck but, "Where did you say your are?"  I gave her directions several times until she got it right.  She seemed a little doubtful, like maybe this was a prank call or something.  Finally she said she would send someone right out but it might be 2 hours.  We waited.

About an hour latter, I saw a big truck coming.....too early for the tow truck, I thought.  It WAS the tow truck.  He pulled up in front of us and the driver got out of the cab.  A young man in his early 20's.  I told him we were so glad to see him and surprised he got here so fast.  Then he confessed...  "Well I did hurry, BUT, I forgot to get fuel and I don't think I have enough to get back."  DOH!!!! I told him that I had 5 gallons of diesel in the back of my Jeep...would that help.  He was amazed.  What is the chance of that.  He just couldn't get over it.  I explained that my Jeep is a diesel and that I brought the extra fuel due to the remote roads on our trip.  He said that he did not know that Jeep made a diesel.

We poured in the fuel, loaded the Jeep onto his truck and then made tracks for the campground.  It was about 47 miles.  We were way out there.

On the hook

On the way back we talked to Zack, the driver,  about the Lord.  He was somewhat interested but played the religion card since he was from a Mormon background.  We explained salvation to him best we could as he drove.  I explained the difference between Ephesian 2:8,9 as compared to 2 Nephi 25:23 in the Book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon says you are saved by grace AFTER the best you can do.  Ephesians 2:8,9 says you are saved by Grace and it is the GIFT of God, not of works.  Quite a difference. 

We arrived by at camp and he unloaded the Jeep in front of our trailer.  I paid the bill, $269.00 and gave him a big tip.  He tried not to take it but I insisted.

Tomorrow, I'll dig into the Jeep.  This may bring our geocaching trip to a conclusion....we will see.


3 comments:

Thoughts with Morning Coffee

  T oday I woke up and as I had my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say...