Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Drive to Nowhere

 Today we took a long drive to nowhere.  It took most of the day.  Last night I was reading the owners manual for the new Jeep.  Under the heading labeled towing, it had a BIG warning that you are not supposed to tow anything until you have at least 500 miles on the vehicle.  We only had 260 miles on it.  I was very tempted to ignore the warning but then I thought,  "What if I really did damage something."  What if several years down the road I have this nagging doubt remembering how we violated the warning.

So, we decided to delay our departure another day and go for a long drive.  I set my trip meter and we took off down Hwy 95 toward Carson City.  We had to drive 120 miles out, then 120 miles back to make the 500 required miles.  It was a long drive to nowhere.  Rocks, sage brush, lonely desert with a few sights here and there.

One interesting thing... We drove through Hawthorne, NV which is home to the largest military ammo storage facility in the world.  It is huge.  We stopped to browse the Hawthorne Ordnance Museum.  It was closed but they have all kinds of neat stuff outside that you can browse through and you can look through the windows.  I took lots of pictures.

We had packed a lunch for the trip.  After we completed the 120 miles, we turned around a went back to camp.  Did some laundry and hooked up the Jeep.  Tomorrow we will head out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts with Morning Coffee

  T oday I woke up and as I had my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say...