Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dec. 18th

Thursday. Up at 6 AM! Yawned. Back in the rack until 7 AM. Are we lazy or what. Had our usual kibble for breakfast, same old thing, but I love it. Packed up the trailer and headed down the road. Found a few caches along the way today.
The WX today is beautiful...so far. We headed east along I-40 until we got to Santa Rosa. There is a beautiful spring there called the Blue Hole that I would like to dive in someday. Not today. We got fuel in Santa Rosa and then left the freeway heading south on 84. It is good to be heading south again because I know we are closing in our goal. Yesterday and today we drove through vast regions of empty space. As far as the eye can see in every direction there is mostly nothing. Huge ranches and open range, high deserts, and vast grasslands with brown grass. Anybody that thinks that the world is filling up with people simply spends too much time in the city. This country is huge! There is a lot of space out there. We reached Ft Sumner and stopped to see the Billy the Kid Museum. We did not take the time to go in, but took pictures of some of the stuff that they have outside. Don't know why they want to glorify such a criminal. I guess its a history thing. They ought to glorify the sheriff that shot him but he is vilified. From Ft. Sumner we continued south on 84 and the going got rough. The wind was incredible. I had no way to measure it and have heard no reports but there were strong steady cross winds with gusts that I would estimate to be 50 mph. Some of the semi trucks were listing to the left as they approached us from the opposite direction. Our trailer was buffeted back and forth and I was very glad for the new hitch and sturdy sway bar. At one point, the dust got so thick that the visibility was reduced to about 200 feet. We braved the wind and finally rolled into Post, Texas about sundown. Its a little cow town. No Walmarts here, we are on our own. What to do. As we rolled into town I spied a Best Western Motel with a little Baptist Church next to it. We passed it up and rolled through town. Nothing likeable. We did a U'ie and headed back to the church. We almost pulled into their parking lot for the night but decided to scope out the neighborhood behind. There we found a nice cul-de-sac about 100 yards behind the Motel. We set up camp right next to some oil well pumps that are slowly pumping black gold. Turned on the computer and snagged wireless internet from the motel...thank you very much. Hopefully we will have a quiet night here with no policemen telling us to scat. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Glad y'all got back on the road and out of that weather. Looks like your comments got hammered by some ad spam from your free internet. Good night. Sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts with Morning Coffee

  T oday I woke up and as I had my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say...