Thursday, December 18, 2008

Free at Last






Its Tuesday afternoon and we are finally going to hit the road. The special part showed up at the dealership and the service person came out and informed me that the car was ready to go. I asked what the repair would have cost and she estimated 400 - 500 smackers. The bad part was a rather small electronic thing about the size of your thumb. Along with the repair I had them do a routine oil change and checkover. That ended up costing me $175 because of the unusual nature of the engine and their inflated prices. It takes 12 quarts, expensive filter, etc etc. Ouch. I have never seen an engine like this, you can't even check the transmission fluid, they don't want you to even touch it I guess. The whole engine is covered with a shroud so the only thing you can really see is the oil filler and the dip stick.

We pulled out of the construction site around 12:30 and headed south on Hwy 95 as fast as we could go. 56mph FYI. Although we could easily go 70, I determined that 56 is the top speed that I want to pull the trailer.

The rest of the day was un-eventful. We drove throught the high desert along 95 then headed east across the Colorado River on scenic route 68 then Kingman and on to Flagstaff, AZ. We drove till about 9:30 or so because we really wanted to get to Flagstaff.

Our delay in Vegas allowed the foul WX to catch up to us. It was snowing as we pulled into Flagstaff and there was about 2 feet on the ground already. The GPS led us to a "false Walmart." When we got there it was a "Sam's Club" instead. We consulted the gps again and found another Walmart in the POI files that was a few miles away and tried that one. Bingo! Free camping. We were very tired and after doing routine duties, we hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts with Morning Coffee

  T oday I woke up and as I had my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say...