Saturday, January 16, 2021

Sumps pumps. The Good and the Bad

 We get a lot of water under our house and for the last 40 years we have pumped it out almost daily using a sump pump.  Since sumps pumps seem to only last 1 to 5 years we have gone through a lot of them.  Of the last three that I used, one lasted 2 years, one lasted 3 months, and one lasted 3 years.  All of them failed having the same problem even though they were different brands.

When you look at ads for sump pumps, they often brag about having an "engineered thermoplastic bottom".  THIS is the problem.  It is not a plus.  The problem is that they don't engineer enough screws to hold the plastic bottom in place.  It doesn't take long for the plastic plate to warp a tiny bit between two screws and then the water shoots out the side instead of going out the discharge pipe.  

The other day I had to replace the pump again and this time I paid a little extra and bought one that has a cast iron bottom with no "engineered thermoplastic" plate on it.  We will see how long it lasts.  It is made by Warn.  Their chart claims that this pump with a guarantee of 3 years should last 6.  We'll see.



Water Under the House



Engineered Plastic Bottom



New Warn Pump


Cast Iron Bottom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts with Morning Coffee

  T oday I woke up and as I had my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say...